Re: st: How to rename value label names to match variable names?

From   Tirthankar Chakravarty <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: How to rename value label names to match variable names?
Date   Sun, 16 May 2010 12:14:45 +0530

You can easily change the name of the value label of a variable after
you have renamed the variable, to match the new variable name, using
Nick Cox's -labmask- utility, part of the -labutil- package (SSC):
***********************************
sysuse auto
des
labmask foreign, values(foreign)
des
***********************************

2010/5/16 Anna Reimondos <[email protected]>:
> Hello,
> And thank you both for your suggestions.  I find it a bit hard to
> articulate problems sometimes when it comes to variable names, value
> names and value labels so my question was perhaps not very clear.
>
> I would like to rename the name of the labels rather than the names of
> the variables.
>
> For example
> sysuse, auto
> des
>
> *Here I would want the value label called 'origin' to change to be
> called 'foreign' to match the name of the variable name it is attached
> to.
>
> As Phillip pointed out this is not necessary thing do to, but I must
> do this because I am cleaning a survey dataset that has very
> particular rules about how the variable names and value labels are
> defined and they have asked me to do this....
>
> Thanks,
> Anna
>

> On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 12:46 PM, Tim Wade <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I'm not 100% certain what you are asking but if you want to relabel
>> the newly generated variables so that the labels are the same as the
>> new variable names, this should work:
>>

>> sysuse auto.dta, clear
>> rename make make1
>> rename price price1
>> desc make1 price1
>> foreach var of varlist make1 price1 {
>> label variable `var' "`var'"
>> }
>> desc make1 price1
>>

>>              storage  display     value
>> variable name   type   format      label      variable label
>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> make1           str18  %-18s                  make1
>> price1          int    %8.0gc                 price1
>>

>> Tim
>>
>> On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 10:06 PM, Anna Reimondos <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> The following problem has me stumped.
>>> I have a dataset with variables which have been labelled with value
>>> labels. Currently the variables are names as "a1, a2, a3" etc, and  I
>>> need to rename all my variables so that they are listed as "V1, V2,
>>> V3" etc. This I can easily do. The problem is that I also need to
>>> rename all the value label names to match the new variable names.
>>>
>>> For example, the current situation is:
>>>
>>> varname  label name
>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>> a1            a1
>>> a2            a2
>>> a3            yesno
>>> a4            gender
>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>> What I need to have is:
>>>
>>> varname  label name
>>>
>>> V1            V1
>>> V2            V2
>>> V3            V3
>>> V4            V4
> [...]

To every ω-consistent recursive class κ of formulae there correspond
recursive class signs r, such that neither v Gen r nor Neg(v Gen r)
belongs to Flg(κ) (where v is the free variable of r).