Re: AW: st: replace-all can crash do-file

From   Hewan Belay <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: AW: st: replace-all can crash do-file
Date   Sat, 15 May 2010 21:31:32 -0700 (PDT)

Dear all, thanks for your thoughts so far. On the information requested: I am using PC and Windows-XP-Professional. Here�the output from doing �date- in my stata:

Stata executable
    folder:               C:\Stata11MP\
    name of file:         StataMP.exe
    currently installed:  13 Jul 2009

Ado-file updates
    folder:               C:\Stata11MP\ado\updates\
    names of files:       (various)
    currently installed:  13 Jul 2009

Utilities updates
    folder:               C:\Stata11MP\utilities
    names of files:       (various)
    currently installed:  13 Jul 2009

Recommendation
    Type -update query- to compare these dates with what is available from
    http://www.stata.com.

Click to edit automatic update checking preferences

 Martin, if I just do “replace” hh with hh_id, there is of course no problem. Rather, the problem occurs when I do “replace all” of hh with hh_id in the example I used. Also, the endless looping (which, by the way, I can’t follow with my eyes—I’m assuming it’s doing an endless loop since it freezes up) I would argue amounts precisely to a crash. The freeze/looping won’t stop, and when I try to close the find and replace window, I get the following message: “This programme is not responding. To return to Windows and check the status of the programme, click cancel. If you choose to end the programme immediately, you will lose any unsaved data. To end the programme now, click End Now.” My only options are End Now (which loses any unsaved data to the do file) or Cancel (which just takes me back to the frozen screen). So I have no choice but to click End Now.

It’s interesting that Kit didn’t find this problem prevalent in Mac, and Martin didn’t find it prevalent in Windows (which Windows? And did you do “replace all” rather than “replace”?), and Kieran didn’t find the problem prevalent in Windows 7, but did find it prevalent if she first checks the box “Regular Expression”. In my case, the problem obtains (on my PC and Windows XP machine) whether or not I check the box “regular expression”.

So my question: If anyone has a Windows XP, did they try the “replace all” and manage to get away without a forced crash and loss of unsaved data of the do-file?

Hewan