Re: st: log file recording within loops

From   Jan Stuhler <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: log file recording within loops
Date   Fri, 26 Mar 2010 12:31:57 +0000

Dear Mandy, Michael,

thanks a lot! The functionality of the trace command was exactly what I was looking for.

On 20 Mar 2010, at 22:04, Michael Norman Mitchell wrote:

Dear Jan

I have frequently wished for the exact same thing. In SPSS there is "DO REPEAT" and "END REPEAT PRINT.", where the "PRINT" option specifies that each command generated by the loop is displayed, for example.

DO REPEAT Q=Q1 TO Q5/ R=R1 TO R5.
 COMPUTE Q=0.
 COMPUTE R=1.
END REPEAT PRINT.

 I sometimes will fake this in Stata by typing, at the command window

. set trace on
. set tracedepth 1

 and then the contents of the loops are displayed, e.g.

--- test.do ---
sysuse auto, clear
foreach v of varlist m* {
 summarize `v'
}
---- test.do ---

do test

. sysuse auto, clear
(1978 Automobile Data)

. foreach v of varlist m* {
 2.   summarize `v'
 3. }
- foreach v of varlist m* {
- summarize `v'
= summarize make

   Variable |       Obs        Mean    Std. Dev.       Min        Max
-------------+--------------------------------------------------------
       make |         0
- }
- summarize `v'
= summarize mpg

   Variable |       Obs        Mean    Std. Dev.       Min        Max
        mpg |        74     21.2973    5.785503         12         41
- }

.
end of do-file

Michael N. Mitchell