Re: st: xtlogit stata option: tech(bhhh) vce(opg)

Subject   Re: st: xtlogit stata option: tech(bhhh) vce(opg)
Date   Wed, 17 Mar 2010 14:30:37 -0500

Whoa. Take that slow. Stata's code has been tested, verified and
scrutinized by generations of users. Any modifications you could do on
the existing code will be on your own risk. And you do need to get
that book on ML estimation to read about different implementations of
it in Stata. -d2- is not an option, this is a method to compute the
maximum likelihood estimates (and associated derivatives). Sorry, I
won't bother explaining that, as it is done better in the book. I
posted the code that produced the error. If your installation of Stata
produces something else, you might have an older version with
different settings.

If your Hessian is not negative definite, you are probably away from
the maximum and need to find different starting values. You might also
want to specify -difficult- option for the ML optimizer to do a more
thorough job in stepping through the parameter space.