Re: st: RE: RE: calculating standard deviation of age at death from period life tables

Subject   Re: st: RE: RE: calculating standard deviation of age at death from period life tables
Date   Tue, 9 Mar 2010 08:51:42 -0500

"Tricking" Stata's survival programs to accept age-period data, as
recommended in the 2004 Statalist post, may be unnecessary. The
user-written  -lifetabl- command by Carlos Ramalheira ("findit
lifetabl") will read a schedule of rates or of numerator & midyear
denominator counts. This is a specialized area, so I  recommend that
consultation with a demographer, or at least a recent demography text.
The example on German Rodriguez's Princeton page  reproduces
calculations from  SH Preston, P Heuveline, and T Guillot  (2000)
Demography : Measuring and Modeling Population Processes,
Wiley-Blackwell, NY.

I do question whether SDs are a good summary for the variability in
age at death, In most parametric survival models, SDs are parameters
for the log of the time variable. On the original scale, SDs are
usually increasing functions of the mean.

-Steve

--
Steven Samuels
[email protected]