Re: st: Single decrement period life tables

From   "Andy Sloggett" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Single decrement period life tables
Date   Wed, 04 Feb 2004 17:25:02 +0000

Jeff
I suppose "trick" Stata into doing it is a good way of describing it.
I suggest using sts list rather than ltable.  If the data is stset it
can then be stsplit into time segments which can be tagged as belonging
to whatever periods you are dealing with.  If you then sts list,
restricting it to a particular period you will get a lifetable
constructed using only the segments from that period.
Andy

Andy Sloggett
Lecturer in Medical Demography
and MSc Course Organiser
Centre for Population Studies
London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine
50 Bedford Square, London, WC1B 3DP
Tel: 020 7299 4628
Fax: 020 7299 4637

>>> [email protected] 04/02/2004 16:28:18 >>>
I am trying to construct a single decrement period life table to
estimate
expected probabilities of transition into a (nonmarital) cohabiting
family
structure for a 1992 to 1993 birth cohort of children.

Because the "ltable" command appears to estimate cohort life tables, I
presume one would have to "trick" Stata into estimating a period life
table,
unless there's another, more direct way.

Thanks very much for any help you can provide.

Jeff

Jeffrey M. Timberlake

Assistant Professor

University of Cincinnati