Re: st: Combining multiple imputation with propensity score matching

From   David Kantor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Combining multiple imputation with propensity score matching
Date   Tue, 02 Mar 2010 12:24:12 -0500

Hi.
As the author of mahapick, I would like to mention that, indeed, it does not pick unique matches. (This could be an avenue for future development.) You can specify that it generates a multitude of match candidates, which is virtually a queue, in order of closeness, of possible matches for each primary ("treated") case. You then can take this and run a loop that visits primary cases in a random order. For each such case,
 select the best candidate for the given primary case;
remove that selected match as a candidate for use in later passes through the loop.

I recommend that if you want more than one match (say 3) per primary case, that you run this loop several (3) times (maintaining the same data structure that disqualifies candidates from future matching) -- rather than selecting, say, the best 3 matches for each case in one pass through the loop. The latter method might enable earlier cases in the loop to grab better matches.

Of course, this has a random element to the process. You may or may not like that. But you need some way of deciding who gets a given candidate if it is matched to more than one primary case.

I had done this selection process once, several years ago; I might be able to dig up the code if necessary. My co-worker also had a plan to somehow optimize the process by swapping matches in order to minimize the sum of the distances. That was too complex to be done in Stata, and we abandoned it. I understand that the task was taken up by others (in C, I suppose), but the result was no better than the original random process.

HTH
--David