Re: st: RE: Missing data on outcome and sample selection bias

From   Rosie Chen <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Missing data on outcome and sample selection bias
Date   Mon, 1 Mar 2010 08:32:22 -0800 (PST)

Thanks, Tony. Let me see if I understand you correctly. Did you mean that, by keeping cases that have missing values on the y variable in the imputation process, we should be able to reduce or remove the possible sample selection bias issue because the imputed x variables' values are based on those cases also? I haven't seen anywhere that this is a standard way to do to address the possible sample selection issue, but please correct me if I am wrong.

To keep this discussion thread going, I am posting my questions again. Thanks for every input and advice!  -- Rosie

Dear all,  here are my several questions regarding a multilevel analysis with missing values on the outcome variable:

1)     Do we often compare the deleted cases with the
final raw sample without missing data imputation or with the final
sample with missing cases imputed?
(2) To what extent do t-tests can be useful for determining sample
selection bias? What criterion do we use? Do the significant t tests on
all predictors indicate such a problem or half of the tests being
significant indicates the problem?
(3)
  If t-test is not a very good tool to assess the problem, should we
use Heckman method?
Can we use Heckman test to detect and remedy the
possible sample selection bias problem with a dependent variable in
Stata?
I learned that there is a Heckman and a GLLMM syntax in Stata,
but I am not sure if it can incorporate all three features (multilevel data structure,
multiple-imputed data, and complex survey design) into consideration.