Re: st: test for clustering in instrumental variables settings

Subject   Re: st: test for clustering in instrumental variables settings
Date   Thu, 25 Feb 2010 09:51:47 -0600

With a binary endogenous variables, you need to think first whether the
effect in the main dependent variable is due to the 0/1 value of the
endogenous variable, or due to the propensity (the linear predictor part)
associated with that variable.

I don't think there are formal tests for whether you do or do not need the
clustered standard errors. But the folk wisdom is, if you have clusters then
you have to use the clustered standard errors (which will likely dilute the
significance of your results compared to the assumption of the i.i.d.
data). In a somewhat related problem of testing for heteroskedasticity in
linear regression, econometricians use White's information matrix test
(-estat imtest- after -regress-). In all likelihood, it can be generalized
to the clustered data situation, but I am not aware of whether that was done
or not.