RE: st: RE: ivreg versus xtivreg

Subject   RE: st: RE: ivreg versus xtivreg
Date   Fri, 12 Feb 2010 08:55:01 -0000

Sara,

I think your explanation in your earlier email is probably right:

> I noticed that 2 states have a number of counties (clusters) lower
> than the number of years available. By dropping these two states STATA
> run the xtivreg2 without giving the error message.
>
> I have read the help file and FAQ and I think something is going with
> those state by year effects that creates a kind of singleton dummy
> problem, but I am not sure Any help would be appreciated

And the question is, should you worry about it?  The VCV should still be OK for tests of, say, one parameter at a time.  So long as you are aren't trying to do something that requires a full-rank VCV (like 2-step GMM, or using an overid stat, or joint testing of all the coeffs), you're OK, I think.

Memo to self: calling this an "error" in the output is possibly overstating the issue; maybe "warning" is better.

--Mark