RE: st: Latent Variable and IV

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: Latent Variable and IV
Date   Mon, 8 Feb 2010 13:46:08 -0800 (PST)

--- On Mon, 8/2/10, Mafalda Sampaio wrote:
> Thank you for your quick answer. I'm studying how people
> choose their networks, and one of the variables is the
> "perceived information". People interact with a potential
> friend and will or will not choose  to establish a link
> depending on what information he can extract from it. This
> perceived level of information is a latent variable, as it
> is not observable but depends on observables. I'm thinking
> of recovering with the use of some indicator variable say,
> "whether or not the potential friend has access to
> priviledge information" or something of the sort (data that
> I have)...
> As for the IV, I have another explanatory variable that is
> endogenous. If I  had not the latent variable I would
> use 2SLS. However, having these two problems with my
> covariates, I'm not sure what to use.

Do you believe that these indicators influence your latent variable
or the other way around? These require very different strategies.
The former is probably easiest, you can just use your 2sls estimator
followed by a call to -sheafcoef-, but it ofcourse depends on
whether you believe that the indicators influence the latent variable.
You can get -sheafcoef- by typing -ssc instal sheafcoef-, you can
read more about it here: <http://www.maartenbuis.nl/wp/prop.html>.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie