st: RE: AW: Why do logit model coefficients produce signs opposite to those obtained from OLS?

From   "Jitian Sheu" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: AW: Why do logit model coefficients produce signs opposite to those obtained from OLS?
Date   Thu, 4 Feb 2010 23:19:37 +0800

Many thanks for Martin's answer.
However, I am quite confusing...
Are you suggesting that the sign of estimated coefficients from OLS should
be the same with that from Logit?

Furthermore, at this moment, I am still trying the model specification only,
the marginal effect is not my concern yet.

Thanks again.

JT.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Martin Weiss
Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2010 11:10 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: AW: Why do logit model coefficients produce signs opposite to
those obtained from OLS?

<>

Just try to find it out with the examples in the help file. But you are
probably more interested in marginal effects than the coefficients
themselves?

webuse lbw, clear
glm low age lwt i.race smoke ptl ht ui, family(gaussian) link(identity)
margins, dydx(*)
glm low age lwt i.race smoke ptl ht ui, family(binomial 1) link(logit)
margins, dydx(*)

HTH
Martin