Re: st: areg vce(cluster id) for panel intraclass correlation on individual level?

From   Nils Braakmann <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: areg vce(cluster id) for panel intraclass correlation on individual level?
Date   Thu, 4 Feb 2010 13:49:14 +0100

Dear Björn,

I'd definitely cluster the standard errors on the level of the
individual. The reason basically is the one stated by Lahiri/Li: With
repeated person-data, you basically have person-year-observations
clustered within individuals. The fixed effects account for the
time-constant part of the unobservables. However, for a lot of
questions you can imagine that unobserved random shocks that hit an
individual at time t might also influence his behavior at t+1 thus
leading to correlated errors within persons. Clustering your standard
errors takes care of that. Additionally, the usual robust standard
errors are biased in the fixed-effects case while the clustered errors
are robust to heteroskedasticity (see Stock/Watson, 2008,
Heteroskedasticity-Robust Standard Errors for Fixed Effects Panel Data
Regression, Econometrica 76(1), pp. 155 - 174). In fact, using -xtreg,
fe robust- leads Stata to suppy standard errors based on -xtreg, fe
cluster(id)- since an update some time ago.

Hope this helps,
Nils