Re: st: Ben Jann and fanboys

From   Jet <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Ben Jann and fanboys
Date   Tue, 2 Feb 2010 00:19:46 -0500

Hi, dear all,
      I have a question regarding the treatment of missing values in
factor analysis. I have 20 items for factor analysis, but some items
have missing values. If I ignore them, then the Stata treats
respondents with any missing values as missing, and the sample size
will
decrease significantly. So, there are three options. Would appreciate
any suggestions on which option or options I shall follow:
      1. Use the item mean of the nonmissing cases to substitute the
missing value, and then conduct the factor analysis, and calculate the
factor score.
      2. Use multiple imputations to impute the value for each item
with missing values ( But what variables should be used to imputation?
)
      2. Use  the items without missing values to calculate factor
score, and then impute the missing factor score( But what variables
should be used for imputing the factor score?).

     Thank you very much!