st: Stata 11 (MS Windows), selecting data source (e.g. MS Access file) during ODBC-import via menu

From   "Sebastian Krimm" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Stata 11 (MS Windows), selecting data source (e.g. MS Access file) during ODBC-import via menu
Date   Fri, 15 Jan 2010 14:35:14 +0100

Hello everyone,

I noticed an odd change in the behavior of Stata 11 compared to the previous
version when it comes to importing data via ODBC. Let's assume I have a MS
Access file somewhere which I want to import using "File" -> "Import" ->
"ODBC data source". In Stata 10, I then select "MS Access Database -
Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb, *.accdb)" as DSN and a dialogue pops up in
which I can navigate to the specific file. In Stata 11 the dialogue to
navigate to the file does not appear. I found this phenomenon on various
machines running on Windows XP and Windows Vista (German 32-bit versions).
Does this happen on other systems as well?

Of course you can first add a new user-DSN that points to the specific file
you want to import in the Windows Control Center, but that's quite a hassle
if you deal with different files regularly. I also found that I could add
the path to the file when I import using odbc load like

odbc load, dsn("MS Access Database;DBQ=c:\path\to\file.mdb") table(table1)

However it would be more comfortable to use the menu and have a dialogue to
select the file. Does anyone have any idea how to get the latter back?

Kind regards

Sebastian

--
Sebastian Krimm