st: R: data transformation - need help

From   "Carlo Lazzaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: R: data transformation - need help
Date   Fri, 15 Jan 2010 14:49:25 +0100

Dear Andreea,
the following articles might be of some interest (please, see www.bmj.com):

J Martin Bland and Douglas G Altman. Statistics Notes: Transforming data.
BMJ 1996;312;770;

J Martin Bland and Douglas G Altman. Statistics notes: Transformations,
means,and confidence intervals. BMJ 1996;312;1079

J Martin Bland and Douglas G Altman. Statistics Notes: The use of
transformation. BMJ 1996;312;1153.

Kind Regards,
Carlo

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Per conto di Andreea Cristiana
Didilescu
Inviato: venerdì 15 gennaio 2010 8.54
A: [email protected]
Oggetto: st: data transformation - need help

Hello,

Could anyone help me with some data transformations? I have two
samples (n=45) with skewed distribution.  After using ladder command,
it came out that square transformation would be suitable for both of
them. May I perform a ttest after performing data transformation? How
should I deal with the results? Should I go back to the original data
(e.g. mean difference)? What about the p-value?

Thanks in advance,
Andreea

--
Andreea Didilescu, DDS, PhD
Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Dental Medicine