Re: st: significant digits format

From   Marcello Pagano <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: significant digits format
Date   Tue, 12 Jan 2010 13:23:36 -0500

Dear Listers,

Before this `Wadagate N+1', for who knows what N, gets too far, let us hope that before such vituperative labels are used some care is taken at deciding the justification of the accusations. This might be interesting if we were comparing the contributions of John Napier, and ironically, another Swiss, Joost Burgi, vis a vis the invention of logarithms, but before we ask either of them to apologize to Roy Wada for copying his idea, let us realize that the two lines of code in question owe their genesis to Napier/Burgi and that subsequently it is the most obvious way to solve the *same* problem. I hope that Listers will look at the rest of the two sets of code put forth by Wada and Ben Jann to see whether the approaches are even the same, other than the similarity of this one line, let alone similarity in code in general, before expressing opinions and accusations.

Statalist is not intended as a location for public catharsis. Rather it is intended as a way to help with Stata and statistical advancement. We sympathize with the need some people feel for emotional outlets, but this is not the best place for it and it is certainly not fair on the targets. So please Listers, show some restraint.

Thanks,

m.p.