Re: st: How to use a vector in Stata

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: How to use a vector in Stata
Date   Tue, 12 Jan 2010 05:30:37 -0800 (PST)

--- On Tue, 12/1/10, Etan Lakam wrote:
> I am trying to derive the socio-economic status variable
> for participants in my data set approximately 1500
> participants. I  am using the used the NS-SEC method, in
> which the soco-economic class of participants based on
> their occupation. The English Office of National
> Statistics that coined the method provided the attached
> vector for the derivation.

There can be no attachements on the Statalist, see the
Statalist FAQ (a link is at the bottom of each message to
the statalist).

What you called a vector file, us just a mapping of some
standard classification of occupations to another (class)
classification. The easiest way to do that, is to take
that literaly: turn that file into a .do-file that uses
-recode- or -replace- to translate the old classification
to the new.

You can look at the .ado files of -isco- for an example.
These are programs that map the Internation Standard
Classification of Occupations to various class and status
schemes.

Type in Stata:
ssc install isco
help isco