Re: st: Standardized Beta and Multiple Imputation in Stata 11

From   Alan Acock <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Standardized Beta and Multiple Imputation in Stata 11
Date   Thu, 31 Dec 2009 11:31:18 -0800

I'm not sure what Martin suggests will work. Unless I'm missing something (fairly likely), what Maarten says is that it is not clear what mean and variance you would use since each imputed dataset will have a different mean and variance for each variable. One very tedious solution would be something like this:

mi estimate, noisily dftable: regress ln_wagem  gradem agem ttl_expm ///
     tenurem not_smsa south blackm, beta

where the noisily gives all the intermediate results and will show the beta values (and R-square) for each of the m solutions.

Pooling the betas and the R-squares is not something that Rubin Rules does. You could simply average them. You could do a log of each before averaging and then reverse the transformation to deal with the ceiling effect in the distribution of betas and R-square. I'm not sure there is a formally justified solution.

--Alan Acock