st: R: RE: RE: Factor Analysis: which explained variance?

From   "Francesco Burchi" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: R: RE: RE: Factor Analysis: which explained variance?
Date   Wed, 23 Dec 2009 11:14:36 +0100

@ Jay

The theoretical reason for this aggregation is that the different variables
indicate different types of health knowledge.
The following are the results of tetrachoric correlation:

              Var1  	    Var2            Var3        Var4
Var1              1
Var2      .1819233		1
Var3      .3699331      .25242738             1
Var4      .18371493     .27407531      .40299934          1

I was specifically asked whether I could justify my choice of one single
factor on the basis of the variance explained. Following your reasoning, I
could argue that with more than 1 factor it would be unidentified. Just to
be sure about the procedure I am following, I have tried to get results
keeping the 4 factors:

factormat R, n(6926) ipf   factor(4)

Factor analysis/correlation                    Number of obs    =     6926
Method: iterated principal factors             Retained factors =        3
Rotation: (unrotated)                          Number of params =        6

         Factor  |   Eigenvalue   Difference        Proportion   Cumulative
-------------+------------------------------------------------------------
        Factor1  |      1.28200      1.06199            0.8049       0.8049
        Factor2  |      0.22001      0.12912            0.1381       0.9431
        Factor3  |      0.09089      0.09108            0.0571       1.0001
        Factor4  |     -0.00019            .           -0.0001       1.0000

Could I state that the first factor explains 80% of the common variance?
Finally, I have tried to add one or two further indicators to improve the
analysis. However, I had some theoretical doubts on the inclusion of these
variables, and the factor analysis with tetrachoric correlations gave me
use only 4 variables.

Thanks,
Francesco