RE: st: RE: AW: Creating single values from a nested data file

From   "Russel Wildeman" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: AW: Creating single values from a nested data file
Date   Wed, 16 Dec 2009 18:42:25 +0200

Because of the nested data structure, the value of the school-level
variables (ie those that have been aggregated) will be duplicated for the
same school (because for the same school, they must be the same), whereas I
wanted only one record (I must not say observation and this is what was
perhaps confusing-my apologies) per school. This should do the trick

I want to model class size and educational outcomes jointly and the source I
am using suggests it is computationally more efficient to have only one
record per school. I want to use a multilevel bivariate response model for
this task.

Thanks again,
Russell

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Martin Weiss
Sent: 16 December 2009 06:07 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: AW: st: RE: AW: Creating single values from a nested data file

<>

Actually, I had the same idea as Jeph initially, because Rusell requested
that "... one of the school-level variables (classize) ... have only one
observation per school", but I dismissed it as unlikely. If this is indeed
what Rusell wants, I would be interested to hear what kind of analysis
requires that the variable have only one non-missing value per unit (Schools
in his case).

Furthermore, he could then look at -egen, tag()- which would give him an
indicator variable which he could condition on in subsequent analysis
instead of -drop-ping the remaining cases outright.

HTH
Martin