RE: st: estimating an asymmetrical relationship

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: estimating an asymmetrical relationship
Date   Wed, 16 Dec 2009 12:19:07 -0000

I was asking whether you are using time-series ideas such that present response is a function of past and present values of predictor only or whether you were lumping together data regardless of time. It sounds like the latter, but in that case I wouldn't call it a time series model.

As no other variables are mentioned, and no theory is being tested, the next step would seem to be to use your favourite scatter plot smooth on all the data and on the data separated by increasing or decreasing to suggest a specification. You'd still need to check for autocorrelation of error terms as usual, among other things.

Gisella Young

Thank you very much Nick and David for your thoughtful and helpful replies.

On Nick's point about whether I need a model that treats
my variables as linked time series or whether I am lumping together data
without regard to time, I am not sure whether I understand this correctly and maybe I am exposing my ignorance here, but I am estimating a normal (?) time series model, so the observations have dates but I am not doing any explicit linking...    One can look at this relationship in terms of economic theory and there are explanations, but what I need to do here is empirically test whether there is an asymmetry for a particular country over a particular time period.  I haven't found literature that econometrically tests for this type of asymmetrical relationship in other contexts, which is why I am struggling about the correct way of doing it.

On David's suggestion of dummies for the different periods (increasing and decreasing of thee explanatory variable), actually this was something I considered but was told my an econometrician colleague that this was wrong (not sure why) and that only a nonlinear estimation would be appropriate. I would be interested in hearing the views of other list members on this?

Or alternatively, a suitable way of specifying and testing the relationship in STATA, whether using OLS or nonlinear specification?