st: centering for subpopulation & when using sample weights ?

From   "Castellanos, Karen" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: centering for subpopulation & when using sample weights ?
Date   Fri, 11 Dec 2009 13:28:56 -0500

Hi everyone,

I am a PhD student that just found this listserv online. I am using STATA to analyze data from the Add Health dataset for my dissertation. For it, I must enter sampling weights & the primary sampling units to correct for design based effects. Although I know how to center variables, I am uncertain what is the best way to specify my subpopluation when I center. Should I use the subpop option? I am also uncertain regarding whether the sampling weights need to be taken into account and how when centering my variables. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Karen

Karen Castellanos-Brown, MSW
PhD Candidate
Adjunct Instructor
University of Maryland School of Social Work