Re: st: RE: AW: label define

From   Miranda Kim <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: AW: label define
Date   Wed, 11 Nov 2009 15:14:46 +0000

Thank you Nick,
I'm still using Stata 10, so labutil will come in handy!
BW

Nick Cox wrote:
Otherwise put: 1. See the -help- for -label-.
2. In Stata 11, and indeed previously, -label define- defines or changes
entirely new or existing sets of value labels, but does not permit
saving under a different name.
3. In Stata 11, but not previously, -label copy- is the way to copy an
existing set of value labels under another name.
4. For Stata 7 to 10, -labvalclone- from -labutil- on SSC is an
alternative to 3.
5. For Stata 6 and below, or indeed otherwise, you can just type in the
command -label define- for a new group. Nick [email protected]
Martin Weiss

ALso, if you often get stuck with such problems, NJC`S -ssc d labutil-
could
be for you...

Miranda Kim

How can I create a new label set for the values of a variable, by modifying an old one?
For example if I have:
label define agegrp 1 "17-24" 2 "25-34" 3 "35-44" 4 "45-54" 5 "55-63"

and I want to create a new label set with a different name, say agegrp2 that has the following values:
1 "17-24" 2 "25-34" 3 "35-44" 4 ">=45"

Can I use the label set agegrp with the option modify, to create a new label set rather than just overwriting the agegrp label?