st: Direct and indirect effects for logit models

From   Cameron McIntosh <[email protected]>
To   STATA LIST <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Direct and indirect effects for logit models
Date   Sat, 22 Aug 2009 14:49:40 -0400

Hi Fardad,

The best approach, in my opinion, would be SEM. -gllamm- can easily handle non-linear path models, and should be pretty fast if you have no latent variables:

http://www.gllamm.org/

However, please be aware that that testing mediation/indirect effects in the non-linear case is not nearly as straightforward as in the linear case. Make sure you read up on this literature and familiarize yourself with the issues before proceeding:

MacKinnon, D.P., Lockwood, C.M., Brown, C.H., Wang, W., & Hoffman, J.M. (2007). The intermediate endpoint effect in logistic and probit regression. Clinical Trials, 4(5), 499-513.

Li, Y., Schneider, J.A., & Bennett, D.A. (2007). Estimation of the mediation effect with a binary mediator. Statistics in Medicine,  26(18), 3398-3414.

Eshima, N., Tabata, M., & Zhi, G. (2001). Path analysis with logistic regression models: effect analysis of fully recursive causal systems of categorical variables. Journal of the Japanese Statistical Society, 31(1), 1-14.
http://www.scipress.org/journals/jjss/pdf/3101/31010001.pdf

MacKinnon, D.P. (2008). Introduction to statistical mediation analysis. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.

Schluchter, M.D. (2008). Flexible approaches to computing mediated effects in generalized linear models: generalized estimating equations
and bootstrapping. Multivariate Behavioral Research, 43(2), 268-288.

Cam

> Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 17:42:13 +0200
> Subject: st: Direct and indirect effects for logit models
> From: [email protected]
> To: [email protected]
>
> Dear Lister,
>
> I'm doing a research to distinguish and compare the direct and
> indirect effects of enterprise systems (such as erp, scm, crm, etc.)
> on firm performance using a firm-level dataset. I'm using conditional
> logit (clogit) to control for market-specific fixed-effects in my
> sample; you can think of a market as sector X in country Y. This is
> seemingly a preferred approach than adding (a lot of) separate sector
> and country dummies into the model; the method is described by
> Chamberlain (1980).
>
> Now the main issue is indeed to rigorously separate the direct and
> indirect effects of enterprise systems adoption on firm performance.
> Performance is measured as a dummy variable indicating if the firm has
> been profitable or not or alternatively if it has experienced revenue
> growth or not. The enterprise systems adoption is measured through
> separate dummy variables for different applications such ERP, SCM,
> CRM, etc. indicating if the firm uses a specific application or not.
> For comparative purposes, these adoption variables shall be considered
> simultaneously in the model.
>
> In addition to the direct effect of these systems on firm performance,
> their impact is also mediated through product and process innovation,
> which are measured as separate dummies indicating if the firm has had
> product and/or process innovation. So, ignoring the coefficients and
> error terms, for simplicity, the available equations can be shown as:
>
> 1- ln(odds(performance)) = erp + scm + crm + control
> 2- ln(odds(product_innov)) = erp + scm + crm + control
> 3- ln(odds(process_innov)) = erp + scm + crm + control
>
> The “control” is a vector of control variables including several dummy
> and continuous variables to control for size, IT maturity, etc.
>
> At this stage, I started to look into the literature (and there is
> plenty of them in different fields :-((() and found several references
> to implement my model specification in STATA; I’m really confused
> which method is relevant/applicable and which not:
>
> A. As a simple approach, I can run model (1) and separately another
> model which has extra innovation variables as explanatory variables
> (i.e. ln(odds(performance)) = product_innov + process_innov + erp +
> scm + crm + control) to compare the direct and indirect effects. If
> I’m right, the difference between the estimated coefficients of
> interest (i.e. erp, scm and crm) between the two models indicates the
> indirect effect.
>
> B. I can use SEM to simultaneously estimate the set of three Eq. (1),
> (2) and (3); however, I don't know exactly how I can do SEM for
> non-linear models in STATA and further how the direct and indirect
> effects should be calculated afterwards.

> [...]

Stay on top of things, check email from other accounts! Check it out.
Send and receive email from all of your webmail accounts.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9671356