RE: st: Sample selection and endogeneity (or, combining heckman and ivreg)

From   kokootchke <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Sample selection and endogeneity (or, combining heckman and ivreg)
Date   Thu, 6 Aug 2009 02:30:01 -0400

Austin Nichols wrote:
> Shehzad's code has some typos (compare the if qualifiers), I think,
> and without a ref or a proof of consistency, I can't see how anyone
> would get those kinds of results published. To be able to trust them
> yourself, you would also want to run some simulations to assess finite
> sample performance for samples that look like yours (with true coefs
> picked to be near your estimated coefs).

Austin, thank you very much for your response. I agree that not having
a reference would weaken my results and this is why I'm trying to see
if someone in this Stata group can point in the right direction. I have
thought about the simulations as well and I'm contemplating doing that,
but I've never done this before and would like some pointers as to
where I should start. Would you have any suggestions or do you have a
reference that could help in that regard? Also, what do you mean by "for samples that look like yours"?

> Also, note that the original
> poster specifies panel data, though what the DGP is, I do not know.
> Note in particular that the dependent var is a weighted average of
> spreads for one or multiple bonds in a given quarter but a weighted
> average of a nonnegative (skewed?) variable is not guaranteed to have
> any desirable properties. Also, still assuming that the dep var is
> nonnegative or strictly positive, OLS and heckman are inappropriate,
> relative to a GLM type model. Presumably, the new GMM models in Stata
> 11 are a good place to turn, assuming suitable moments can be
> specified.

This is a very good point. I have also never used GLM/GMM in this context before, so could you please be more specific regarding what I need to know or where I should look in order to consider this option and try to implement it?

Thank you very much once again!
Adrian

> On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 4:52 AM, Shehzad Ali wrote:
>> To add to John's response, if your endogenous variable is binary, then I would use the following:
>>
>>        probit y1 x1 x2 x3
>>        predict xbeta1, xb
>>        gen imills1=normd(xb)/normprob(xb) if y1==1
>>        replace imills1=-normd(xb)/(1-normprob(xb)) if y2==0
>>
>>        heckman y2 y1 $yvar $zvar imills1 [pw=weight], sel(selection_probit= y1 $xvar imills1) cluster(commune) mills(imr2)
>>
>> I have assumed that the endogenous var is endogenous in both selection and outcome equation.
>> Regards,
>> Shehzad

Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync.
http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=PID23384::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:NF_BR_sync:082009