RE: st: Sample selection and endogeneity (or, combining heckman and ivreg)

From   kokootchke <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Sample selection and endogeneity (or, combining heckman and ivreg)
Date   Thu, 6 Aug 2009 02:21:57 -0400

Shehzad wrote:
> To add to John's response, if your endogenous variable is binary, then I would use the following:
>
> probit y1 x1 x2 x3
> predict xbeta1, xb
> gen imills1=normd(xb)/normprob(xb) if y1==1
> replace imills1=-normd(xb)/(1-normprob(xb)) if y2==0
>
> heckman y2 y1 $yvar $zvar imills1 [pw=weight], sel(selection_probit= y1 $xvar imills1) cluster(commune) mills(imr2)
>
> I have assumed that the endogenous var is endogenous in both selection and outcome equation.

Dear Shehzad,

If I understand correctly, you are assuming that y1 would be the endogenous variable, and so I guess x1 x2 and x3 are instruments for it?

My endogenous variable is not binary, it's a continuous variable. In this case, combining what you said and what John said, I would then use what John suggested: reg X Z (where X is the endogenous variable and Z is the instrument), predict X-hat... and then, instead of using X-hat directly in heckman model (like I believe John suggested), calculate the imr myself using these predicted values, and THEN use these predicted values in the heckman model...

Am I understanding your approach correctly?

Also, what are the dollar signs? Do they refer to lists of variables?

Thanks.
Adrian