RE: st: FAQ [was: RE: RE: re: What to do about multiple observations ...]

From   kokootchke <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: FAQ [was: RE: RE: re: What to do about multiple observations ...]
Date   Mon, 20 Jul 2009 15:11:54 -0400

Nick, perhaps one thing that may help is to have the Stata listserve send an automated message to new users that summarizes the most important points in the FAQ or that asks the user to read the FAQ --- I joined a long time ago so I don't remember if new users already get a message like that... but having a link to the FAQ online in an automated e-mail may actually help lazy users (like me) to read the FAQ page before posting.

Best,
Adrian

> Subject: st: FAQ [was: RE: RE: re: What to do about multiple observations ...]
> Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 18:39:09 +0100
> From: [email protected]
> To: [email protected]
>
> As maintainer of the FAQ, I don't think so -- although naturally I am
> open to any further expressions of opinion on the matter.
>
> Kit's point that Martin's code fails if variable abbreviation is
> disallowed is undoubtedly correct, but as yet this issue has not been a
> source of much misunderstanding on this list. I don't think it is at all
> practical to insist that code givers should never use variable
> abbreviation, not least because I wouldn't guarantee to do that myself,
> for all that I agree that Kit has a strong argument.
>
> Also, I am reluctant to pad out the FAQ with minor details when there is
> already much evidence that many people never read it, or read it
> through. That may look like idleness, but no doubt those concerned
> really feel that they are too busy or know that they should do it soon,
> or some time.
>
> I remain much more exercised by how to get all members to pay attention
> to much more frequent sources of confusion, irritation and wasted
> bandwidth:
>
> 1. Failure to read on-line documentation.
> 2. Formatted messages and/or attachments.
> 3. New posts that are replies to old threads.
> 4. Insufficient editing of previous posts.
> 5. Failure to search archives.
> 6. Out of office messages.
> 7. Poorly phrased questions.
> 8. Not saying exactly what you typed and what Stata did.
> 9. Not specifying out-of-date version being used.
> 10. Not specifying origin of user-written Stata commands.
> 11. Assuming universal understanding of arcane details.
> 12. Incomplete literature references, especially name (date).
> 13. Not specifying operating system when it is important.
> 14. Assuming everyone else is in the same country and even time zone.
>
> 15. Absent or dopey subject lines.
> 16. "Thanks in advance", which often looks disingenuous.
> 16. Failure to answer secondary questions.
> 17. Failure to close threads.
> 18. Repeated posts.
> 19. "What should I do next in my project?" Depends on what it is...
> 20. "Is this correct?" Depends on what you want to do...
> 21. "It did not work." Meaning precisely...
> 22. "STATA." Not read any documentation recently?
>
> But all that said, Statalist when it works as intended is free, fast,
> friendly (modulo marginal grumping), clear and correct, so who's
> grumbling?
>
> Nick
> [email protected]
>
> Martin Weiss
>
> When Kit lumps something together with Windows, you know he means
> business...
>
> Well, your message makes me think that we do need clarification
> regarding
> this issue on the part of the Statalist FAQ.

> [...]

NEW mobile Hotmail. Optimized for YOUR phone.  Click here.
http://windowslive.com/Mobile?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_CS_MB_new_hotmail_072009