st: re: What to do about multiple observations for one individual in one same period in a panel

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: re: What to do about multiple observations for one individual in one same period in a panel
Date   Sun, 19 Jul 2009 17:32:37 -0400

<.>
Martin said

I have pasted my own code into my do-file editor, hit the "Do" button, and it runs w/o a hitch. ... Where did yours stop? I have used such code in replies for months, and there has never been a complaint of this nature. I do have a hunch, though, that it could have something to do with your email program. Your hunch is wrong. The code stops when you refer to variable 'cou', which is undefined. You are making use of one of Stata's most ill- designed, positively evil features: automatic variable name completion. This feature bears a strong resemblance to WinXP default security settings in terms of its potential for damage. I strongly suggest that everyone
set varabbrev off, permanent
and not rely on this mechanism. Likewise, I often kvetch to authors of SSC modules that their examples in help files do not run. In my opinion no one should have to set varabbrev on in order to run sample code. I suspect Martin's code would work fine if I were to set varabbrev on, but I am unwilling to do that, even momentarily, as I might then forget to turn it off.

An Introduction to Stata Programming | http://www.stata-press.com/books/isp.html