Re: st: STATA and NHIS weight variables

From   Michael Drazer <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: STATA and NHIS weight variables
Date   Mon, 20 Jul 2009 13:48:40 -0500

Steve, Stas, Joao, and Nick: thank you for the help.

Stas, your understanding of the design agrees with my own understanding, and the sample adult and sample adult cancer data do have weights (both wtfa and wtfa_sa, with wtfa ~= wtfa_sa ) for the individuals who completed the survey for the sample adult and cancer files. Adults not completing the cancer/sample adult surveys only have a wtfa weight.

I merged the three files because I created a new variable (referred to here as variable "D") that was defined using data in each of the three files - so variable A was only located in the person file, whereas variable B was only located in the Sample Adult file, and variable C was only located in the Cancer file. Variable D varies based upon the values of variables A, B, and C.

Re: the observations, some of the observations do overlap. For example, an observation for Adult "A" would be found in all three files (Person, Adult, Cancer) if they were randomly sampled, whereas an observation for Adult "B" would only be found in the Person file if they were surveyed for the Person file, but another adult (Adult "C", a spouse, relative, etc.) in the household was randomly sampled for the adult/cancer surveys. Even so, the merge was successful (I merged by household, family, and person record identifiers) and I have the correct # of total observations.

I suspect that the best way to address this issue, based on the helpful feedback of the Statalisters (thank you for the help, again) would be to redefine my newly created variable "D" for only those persons who completed all three surveys, and then to perform my analyses on that same subpopulation of persons who completed all three surveys.

In response to Steve's comment, I'm using Stata 10, so you were correct in identifying that there is no "psu()" option - my command was out-of-date (I was using this resource from NHIS in writing the command http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhis/9705var.pdf) for my purposes. The new command reads:

svyset psu [pweight=wtfa_sa], strata(stratum) vce(linearized) singleunit(missing)

Please correct me if this does not sound correct.

Thanks again for the consideration and help,

Michael