Re: st: smcl files-txt files

From   Gary Longton <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: smcl files-txt files
Date   Thu, 11 Jun 2009 11:13:37 -0700

<>
If this is truly a smcl log file, you should be able to use Stata's translator (see -help translate-) to convert to a text file without the directives (use the smcl2txt translator).

It's not clear to me what you mean by "saved as a txt file". A SMCL file is just an ASCII text file that includes smcl directives. I believe a SMCL file needs to have a .smcl extension for the viewer to read it as such, i.e. to interpret rather than display the included directives. If it has a .smcl extension and you are unable to open in it the viewer (eg. with -view <filename.smcl>- from the command line ) without a resulting display of the included directives, then I suspect you will have trouble with the translator also.

- Gary

Rodrigo Briceño wrote:
Dear Stata Listers. Few days ago I received a log file with a set of
results from a consultant. The file was saved as a txt file, but the
contents of the file are still keeping some SMCL references. This
happened because although the file was saved as txt, it was generated
as a log in SMCL. (For example:
like {smcl}
{com}{sf}{ul off}{txt}{.-}
       log:  {res}C:\data\brooks02.smcl
  {txt}log type:  {res}smcl
 {txt}opened on:  {res}26 May 2009, 10:40:39)

The thing is that I tried to open the file in Stata 9.2 with a viewer
and all the results are mixed with this set of symbols and signs. I
tried saving the file as .smcl, but this didn't work. My question to
you is that if it is possible to get rid of the symbols or otherwise
being able to see the log in a nice format.

I don't know which version of Stata the consultant used, what I know
is that locate him is a neverending task.

Thanks for your gently response.