Re: st: Clustering Problem

Subject   Re: st: Clustering Problem
Date   Fri, 22 May 2009 12:03:39 -0400

chris <[email protected]> :

Kish (1965) gives a correction for a mean; see
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2006-12/msg00738.html for a
reference.  See also
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2008-07/msg00671.html

See page 15 of http://repec.org/usug2007/crse.pdf referencing
http://www.nber.org/papers/t0327 for an approx correction for
regression.  I'm not aware that anyone has adapted that to IV
regression, but you can probably derive a similar approximation.  Note
that in your case, the intracluster correlation of the excluded
instrument is 1.

There is no guarantee that the cluster-robust SE estimator will give
you good answers in any finite sample, and my guess is that the
approximations will also be wildly off in many real applications, but
it may be better than nothing. You should probably run some
simulations where you know the DGP but you impose various levels of
clustering on residuals, and check your SEs and rejection rates,
uncorrected/het-robust/cluster-corrected.