st: RE: RE: Creating a table with list of variables, but showing all values even if value is not used

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: Creating a table with list of variables, but showing all values even if value is not used
Date   Mon, 18 May 2009 09:39:53 +0100

The program -tabm- in -tab_chi- from SSC might also help.

Garry Anderson

You could try the user written command -fre-

-ssc install fre-
The includelabeled, include(), and subpop() options may be relevant.

Anna Reimondos

I have a survey dataset with over 2,000 respondents and  I have created
30 variables. These 30 variables describe  a persons activity (e.g
studying, employed) for each age between ages 15 to 44.
For example if someone was studying between 15 -17 and then starting
working full-time at age 18 the first 4 variables for this person would
be:

activity15  	activity16 	activity17   activity18

Studying 	 Studying  	Studying    Emp.FT

In total there are 12 possible activity categories people can be in at
each age, and the value label for each of the 30 variables is exactly
the same.

I would like to create a table with 30 columns and 12 rows, containing
the number of people and percentages in each category (row) at each age
(column). My current strategy is to tabulate each of the 30 variables
separately and copy and paste the data into excel. (tab1 activity*).
Obviously if at some age no person is engaged in one of the 12
categories (e.g at 15 no one is employed full-time), this category is
not listed in the tabulation and it makes it very time consuming to
manually make sure the rows match in excel, when each of the tabs of the
variables has a different number of categories. Is there an easy way to
'force' tab to show all the 12 categories but to have either a missing
or a zero to indicate that no one was in that category.