RE: st: Bounded Dependent Variable in Random Intercept Model?

From   jverkuilen <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Bounded Dependent Variable in Random Intercept Model?
Date   Thu, 14 May 2009 19:21:05 -0400

Log doesn't unbound a 0-100 variable. You need something like logit, and be *very* wary of 0 or 100 values.

Something like

Ynew = .5/n + (1 - .5/n)*Y

Seems to work pre-logit.

-----Original Message-----
From: "Christian Weiss" <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: 5/14/2009 3:13 AM
Subject: st: Bounded Dependent Variable in Random Intercept Model?

Dear statalisters,

I use a bounded variable ( 0-100%) as the dependent variable  in
standard OLS regressions. To do so, I log-transformed the variable to
yield a unbounded variable.

Could you tell me if i have to use the log-transformed (unbounded)
variable for a random intercept model, or can I also use the initial
bounded variable?

best regards
Christian