Re: st: AW: Re: Class programming in stata.

From   Amadou DIALLO <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: AW: Re: Class programming in stata.
Date   Thu, 14 May 2009 16:18:45 +0300

"I do not understand this criticism. Baum(2009)
http://www.stata-press.com/books/isp.html  is an introduction to "Stata
Programming", and only 2 of its chapters are devoted to -mata-. So in a way,
this publication is complimentary to the [P] manual, and provides exactly
the kind of step-by-step introduction to programming that you demand. In
combination, these two are unbeatable, IMHO."

Martin,

It is not a criticism but rather a wish or a suggestion. The fact that
isp "complements" [P] illustrates what I am saying. Provided [P] were
more detailed and showed step-by-step examples, maybe this will spar
many users of buying complementary books or carrying many books in
their luggage.

Sorry if I focus too much on class programming (I understand the
issue) but my question a more general programming concern.

Best regards.

Amadou.

2009/5/14, Martin Weiss <[email protected]>:

> <>
>
> " It will be very useful if in their programming manuals, at StataCorp,
> they took practical examples and developped all the codes from scratch
> to end, as did Kit Baum in his books for mata programming"
>

> I do not understand this criticism. Baum(2009)
> http://www.stata-press.com/books/isp.html  is an introduction to "Stata
> Programming", and only 2 of its chapters are devoted to -mata-. So in a way,
> this publication is complimentary to the [P] manual, and provides exactly
> the kind of step-by-step introduction to programming that you demand. In
> combination, these two are unbeatable, IMHO.
>
> The economics of better coverage of the class system have been discussed
> before in this thread...
>

> HTH
> Martin

---