st: RE: RE: Making a Matrix from Three Variables

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: Making a Matrix from Three Variables
Date   Sun, 10 May 2009 16:09:53 +0100

Sorry, I should have mentioned that you need to scale the matrix:

. su z

    Variable |       Obs        Mean    Std. Dev.       Min        Max
-------------+--------------------------------------------------------
           z |         9    .4411562    .2579396   .0610638    .684176

. mat matrix = matrix * r(mean)

Nick Cox
There have been several elaborate solutions to this, but a very simple one may be enough -- using an official command only.

I gather that each row and column combination (var1, var2) occurs once only.

That being so, note that

tab var1 var2 [aw=var3], matcell(matrix)

yields a matrix. But see help on -limits-.

Allan Joseph Medwick

I have three variables (var1, var2, var3).  I would like to create a
matrix where the values of var1 are the columns (ascending), the
values of var2 are the rows (also ascending), and the values of var3
are the elements in the matrix.  I know there must be a user defined
procedure out there to do this, but I haven't been able to find it.