Re: st: Making a Matrix from Three Variables

From   Tirthankar Chakravarty <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Making a Matrix from Three Variables
Date   Sat, 9 May 2009 22:38:13 +0100

<>
<>
1) Amadou's solution can be streamlined considerably by replacing the
first part as in the code included below.

2) The line:
tomata x y z, missing
does not work because -missing- is not a valid option for -tomata- (Gould, SSC).

3) Allan's solution is efficient, but you might want to watch out for
missing values in your original data. So, a slight modification is
included below.

/*** Begin ***/
/* Simulate some data */
clear
clear mata
set obs 100
// create a 20x5 matrix
egen cols = seq(), from(1) to(5)
sort cols
egen rows = seq(), from(1) to(20)
gen var3 = runiform()

/* Mata solution - I  - not flexible */
sort cols rows /* note sort order */
qui su rows
scalar define sMvrows = r(max)
qui su cols
scalar define sMvcols = r(max)
mata:
vA = st_data(.,"var3")
mB = colshape(vA,st_numscalar("sMvrows"))'
mB
end

/* Mata solution - II  - Allan's solution modified */
mata:
real matrix sparse(real matrix x)
{
  real matrix y
  real scalar k

  y = J(colmax(x[,1]),colmax(x[,2]),.)
  for (k=1; k<=rows(x); k++) {
    y[x[k,1],x[k,2]] = x[k,3]
  }

  return(y)
}
mC = st_data(.,("rows", "cols", "var3"))
mD = sparse(mC)
mD

/* Check the two solutions are equivalent */
asserteq(mD, mB)
end

/*** End ***/

On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 7:13 PM, Amadou DIALLO <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Allan,
>
> This is my 3 cents solution (have not get the time to put it in a
> formal mata programm, just tested on the command line). I hope it can
> lead you to what you need to achieve if you play around a bit with it.
>
> Best regards.
>
> Amadou.
>

> clear
>
> // suppose you have 3 variables x, y, z, with number of observations
> of x+y = number of observations of z
>
> set obs 10
>
> g x=.
> replace x=1 in 1
> replace x=2 in 2
>
> g y=.
> replace y =1 in 1
> replace y =2 in 2
> replace y =3 in 3
> replace y =4 in 4
> replace y =5 in 5
>
> //g z = round(uniform(),1)
>
> g z=.
> replace z =1 in 1
> replace z =2 in 2
> replace z =3 in 3
> replace z =4 in 4
> replace z =5 in 5
> replace z =6 in 6
> replace z =7 in 7
> replace z =8 in 8
> replace z =9 in 9
> replace z =10 in 10
>
> // tomata  x y z, missing // Don't know why not working
> tomata x in 1/2
> tomata y in 1/5
> tomata z
>
> mata:
>
> c = rows(x)
> d = cols(y')
> M=J(c,d,.)
> for(i=1;i<=d;i++) {
>   M[1,i] = z[i]
>   k=d+i
>   M[c,i] = z[k]
> }
> end
>

> 2009/5/9, Glenn Goldsmith <[email protected]>:
>> Hi Allan,
>>
>> It seems like what you're after is more-or-less the same as converting from
>> sparse matrix storage, so the mata code here should do the trick:
>>
>> http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2009-04/msg00142.html
>>
>> You just need to get your variables into a mata matrix to start with and you
>> should be away:
>>
>>   mata : st_view(x=.,.,("var2","var1","var3"))
>>
>> NB: Note the inverted order of var1 and var2. This is because the code for
>> -sparse()- assumes that the first variable provides the row index, and the
>> second variable provides the column index.
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> Glenn.
>>
>> Allan Joseph Medwick <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi, All,
>>
>> I have three variables (var1, var2, var3).  I would like to create a
>> matrix where the values of var1 are the columns (ascending), the
>> values of var2 are the rows (also ascending), and the values of var3
>> are the elements in the matrix.  I know there must be a user defined
> [...]

To every ω-consistent recursive class κ of formulae there correspond
recursive class signs r, such that neither v Gen r nor Neg(v Gen r)
belongs to Flg(κ) (where v is the free variable of r).