Re: st: Jackknife and standard error in NEGBIN model

From   Marc Philipp <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Jackknife and standard error in NEGBIN model
Date   Wed, 6 May 2009 09:51:08 -0700 (PDT)

Dear all,

I am still trying to understand how the -jackknife:- command computes the standard errors of the parameters.
I made some progress, but I still have a problem that is puzzling me. Actually, I tried to replicate these standard
errors using the method outlined in Miller (1974), which is based on Tukey (1958). According to Stata user
guide, this is the method implemented in Stata.

However, I don't manage to get the same standard errors. I send you my output below, where you can see how I
tried to replicate the results. You can see that the Jackknifed parameters are exactly the same, but the standard
errors produced by the -jackknife:- command are smaller than those I computed. They should be the same.
Am I making a mistake or is Stata using another method to compute these standard errors?

Many thanks in advance for your support!

Best regards,
Marc

. jackknife _b[x] e(delta), cluster(tt) saving(jack, replace): nbreg y x d*, disp(c) nocons
(running nbreg on estimation sample)

Jackknife replications (3)
----+--- 1 ---+--- 2 ---+--- 3 ---+--- 4 ---+--- 5

Jackknife results                               Number of obs      =       300
                                                Number of clusters =         3
                                                Replications       =         3

      command:  nbreg y x d*, disp(c) nocons
        _jk_1:  _b[x]
        _jk_2:  e(delta)
          n():  e(N)

             |              Jackknife
             |      Coef.   Std. Err.      t    P>|t|     [95% Conf. Interval]
-------------+----------------------------------------------------------------
       _jk_1 |   1.013864   .1062226     9.54   0.011     .5568252    1.470903
       _jk_2 |   1.362775   .0625554    21.79   0.002     1.093621    1.631929

. matrix bet = e(b)
. matrix list e(b_jk)

e(b_jk)[1,2]
        _jk_1      _jk_2
y1  1.0350594  2.6554469

. use jack.dta, clear
(jackknife: nbreg)

. gen beta_i = 3*bet[1,1]-2*_jk_1
. gen delta_i = 3*bet[1,2]-2*_jk_2
. su beta_i delta_i

    Variable |       Obs        Mean    Std. Dev.       Min        Max
      beta_i |         3    1.035059    .1839829   .8623033   1.228518
     delta_i |         3    2.655447     .108349   2.582983   2.780004