Re: st: Re: Difficulty with posting and replying

From   "Eric A. Booth" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: Difficulty with posting and replying
Date   Sat, 2 May 2009 09:47:33 -0500

Frank:

Martin uses the <> at the top of his messages because Stata FAQ 2.2 (see: http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/statalist.html#before ) states that the list server can sometimes "chop the first few lines" of an email/posting. So, his <> symbol will be cut if any of the server does remove the first line(s).

You've probably tried this, but if the email program you are using (which according to your X-MAILER properties in your message is Apple Mail (mail.app) 2.9) is attaching a signature to your outgoing mail, this signature is html format. So, while you may be converting you message to 'plain-text' before sending it on the mac (by highlighting you message and pressing Shift+Command+T), your signature injects new html code into your message as it leaves your computer. (Remember that mail.app can be synching your signatures with your mobile me account in the background (see Mail Menu>Preferences> General Tab> Mobile Me... ) )

If this is not your problem, then there may be bigger issues:
1. what kind of text encoding are you using (see Message Menu>Text Encoding)? You might try switching to utf-8 (which would get you to 8- Bit encoding), right now your messages use are using mac's automatic encoding (text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed; delsp=yes) & your content-encoding scheme is 7-bit. Your outgoing server (smtp.mac.com) provides a content transfer method for encoding the message (e.g., 7-bit, 8-bit, and binary methods), when SMTP transmits data in 7-bit MIME defines how 8-bit data can be encoded in 7-bit byte stream for transmission in SMTP. So, there may be something going on with your outgoing server @mac.com that could be resolved by using a 8-bit encoding, like utf-8. 2. It is likely that the mac.com SMTP server may be your own worst enemy. There are lots of reports of mobile me (mac.com) periodically dumping messages from certain ISP's (especially after they've been tagged as having some user sending out a lot of spam). I notice that your IP address and your outgoing smtp relay (e.g., asmtp011.mac.com, asmtp022.mac.com) have changed over the course of your email messages to Statalist from April 24 to today. Are you noticing any patterns of your Statalist postings being 'lost' when sending just from work or home, etc? See this link for an interesting example of similar messages being 'lost' and someways to test this using Terminal and telnet( http://the.taoofmac.com/space/blog/2008/03/09/1100 ).

If you go to the Mail Menu > Preferences > Viewing Pref. Tab and choose "Show Header Detail = All" and then check the full headers of your messages that made it through to Statalist versus the ones that did not, that might help you diagnose the differences among these messages. If you want to send me the output of the headers on your unsuccessful headers, I can take a look & compare them to your recent 'successful' postings.

Good luck.

Eric

__
Eric A. Booth