st: RE: -xtgls- and memory problems

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: -xtgls- and memory problems
Date   Sun, 15 Mar 2009 20:17:54 -0000

There is a mass of stuff on memory management on the Stata website.

. search memory

is a start.

There are mostly unhelpful answers in this domain, to the effect that
you need a smaller model or a bigger machine.

Christian Bustamante

I have a problem when I tried to run -xtgls- Stata saids:

insufficient memory for temporary matrix
   You need to increase the size of memory; see help memory.
r(950);

In a previous ocassion I ran the same command in the same laptop, I
don't kwon what happens. Also, after I could assign more than 1gb to
memory (I have 3gb of RAM), but now I can only assing 500mb.... what's
going on?

Ps. I didn't do a "real" partition. The c drive is unaltered, I only
made a virtual partition to run Ubuntu in a dual boot laptop.