Re: st: AW: double hurdle model with Tobit second stage estimation

From   Kirimi Sindi <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: AW: double hurdle model with Tobit second stage estimation
Date   Wed, 25 Feb 2009 14:46:32 -0500

Hi Erickson,

I do not seem to get the paper in The Stata Journal. Actually I have no access to the journal. However, if I get you correctly do I estimate a probit model of the first stage then before estimating the tobit model I write " drop if <var> == 0 ", then estimate the Tobit directly? Will this solve my problem whereas the Tobit model does not account for the joint correlation of the error terms in the two models?

For your information the dependent variable in the second stage is a continuous variable with 70% pile up of zeros not count.

Saha et. al, 1997 ( Applied Economics, 1997, 29, 1311-1316) in their paper on "Calculating Marginal effects for zero expenditures ....." argue that the problem can be solved by adding inverse of the Mills Ration of the first stage Probit. This is equivalent to the two stage Heckman selection model which I am not sure solves my problem.

I am wondering which would help?

Kirimi

Erickson, Ken wrote:
Hi David and 'Statalisters',

My colleague Mike just suggested this:

...Ken,

Can you send my response to him?

You need to use a drop statement   drop if <var> == 0

Do this before the second stage...

See "From the help desk: hurdle models," The Stata Journal, 2003, 3, Number 2, pp.178-184.

Hope this helps!
Ken Erickson