Re: st: Fixing the value in egen command

From   Tanveer Shehzad <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Fixing the value in egen command
Date   Thu, 12 Feb 2009 10:03:21 +0100

Thanks Nick and Maartin:

Both solutions work fine.

Best regards,

Tanveer

Nick Cox wrote:
> gen bad = missing(assets)
> bysort bank (bad year) : gen first = assets[1]
>
> Alternatively, a -first()- -egen- function is included in -egenmore- on
> SSC that gives first non-missing values.
>
> It's better to learn the logic behind the code above. Within banks, sort
> all the missing values to the end and within blocks of non-missing and
> missing, sort by year.
>
> Nick
> [email protected]
>
> Tanveer Shehzad
>
> <edited>
>
> I have something like 10,000 banks and I need to
> take their initial level of assets (the first available value and not
> corresponding to a fixed year). Could there be any solution?

Choudhry Tanveer Shehzad (Tanveer)
PhD Student
Department of Finance,
Faculty of Economics & Business,