st: Re: Simultaneous equations in panel data

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   Fardad Zand <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: Simultaneous equations in panel data
Date   Wed, 11 Feb 2009 09:20:30 -0500

Per the Statalist FAQ, questions from Statalist should lead to responses on Statalist.

(1) In a simultaneous equations model, this is obviously true; the whole point is that y1 may be the LHS of one equation and on the RHS of others. That by itself does not require systems estimation techniques.

(2) To apply cross-equation constraints you need a systems estimator, and the whole point is that a systems estimator for simultaneous equations of panel data may be hard to find.

(3) This is a FAQ; see various postings by Mark Schaffer and myself. There is nothing wrong with estimating an equation using IV techniques where one of the RHS endogenous variables is a dummy. IV yields consistent estimates.

(4) Yes, limited info techniques are single-equation estimation methods.

(5)You obviously have instruments if you have simultaneous equations. By definition, if you write down the whole system, all the variables that do not appear on the LHS of any equation are instruments for each equation in the system. Some will be included instruments, some will be excluded instruments. But if you cannot identify an equation via the order condition for single-equation estimation, you cannot solve the problem with a systems estimator.

(6) sureg is not a solution for simultaneous equations problems. It presumes that each equation is a proper OLS equation.

(7) No. If you have a set of linear simultaneous equations, each of which contains panel data with the potential for unobserved heterogeneity, the right way to approach estimation IMHO is with xtivreg2, fe or xtivreg2, fd. You could use xtivreg, re if it passed a Hausman test, but that is often problematic.

I don't think looking at the specifics would matter; if the setup is as stated in my (7) then no matter what the equations/variables are, that is likely to be the best way to go.

http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html