Re: st: Interaction term in OLS regression

From   Robert A Yaffee <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Interaction term in OLS regression
Date   Sun, 08 Feb 2009 11:46:59 -0500

Antonio,
   If scatterrplots reveal that the functional form of these variables
are linear, then there is no need to include polynomial terms.
   The main effect may not be statistically significant, owing to the
ratio of the contribution to the R^2 contributed by the c not being at least
1.96 times its std error.  The interaction with the f variable means that
the joint (multiplicative) effect of c*f over and above the individual main
effects (c and f taken separately) is significantly different at different levels of
c.
   These joint effects exhibit sufficiently large differences in their contribution to
the slope (trend) over their standard error to obtain statistical significance.
Plotting different  levels of the c or f against the other interacting variable
should reveal this phenomenon.
    Regards,
         Bob

Robert A. Yaffee, Ph.D.