Re: st: RE: re:linear regression with robust variance estimation

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: re:linear regression with robust variance estimation
Date   Sun, 8 Feb 2009 11:48:39 -0500

Shehzad-

Without a control group, you will have a difficult time drawing causal inferences.

Parity after treatment = Parity before treatment +1. Parity is independently associated with parity. Essentially, the analysis will depend on comparing the within-woman change in birth weight to between-woman differences. (I assume the real parity categories 1,2,3 are something like: 0, 1, 2+.)

A few suggestions:

1. Find external control information about expected parity-related changes in birthweight in the absence of treatment.

2. Account for as much of the between-woman difference as possible, by adding more predictors to the model. There are many, as any book on perinatal epidemiology will show.

3. Gestational age is the single strongest predictor of birth weight. Therefore, four gestational age categories are might not constitute sufficient control. I would use exact gestational age, with a spline or fractional polynomial to capture the nonlinearity. With such a strong predictor, interactions are also possible.

4. However, gestational age and other biological predictors, such pre- pregnancy weight, might be affected by treatment. Try analyses without such predictors to get the unmediated impact of treatment . Mediation analysis has been a recent topic on the list, and I have found Patrick Shrout's presentation to be very informative (http:// www.psych.nyu.edu/couples/Shrout/APS2006E.ppt). Shrout does assume the presence of a control group.

I like Nick's suggestion of looking at the second - first difference, but I suggest that you do this by initial parity category.

-Steve