Re: st: Standard error of a ratio of two random variables

Subject   Re: st: Standard error of a ratio of two random variables
Date   Thu, 15 Jan 2009 10:51:32 -0500

Sergiy and Steven--
I think more information is needed, but I would probably avoid imputation.
Let's say the basic setup is to estimate totals X,Y, and X/Y for:
[X] new entrant (of any age) to 5th grade
[Y] population at least 10 years old and less than 11
Being a new entrant is known if response to the "grade in previous
year" is known, which is subject to recall error, has more missings
than age, etc.

It seems likely that those kids never in school are more likely to
have no response to the "grade in previous
year" i.e. to have missing X.  So those who have true X=0 will be more
likely to have observed X=. which means I think you have problems
estimating this no matter how you do it.  I think a plausible lower
bound might be constructed by estimating new weights for those cases
with Y<. and then estimating the total of X0=max(0,X) and Y and X0/Y
in that sample.  Then a fairly plausible upper bound might be
constructed by estimating new weights for those cases with Y<. and X<.
and then estimating the total of X and Y and X/Y in that much more
restricted sample.  The estimation of new weights w1 for the first
case can just inflate each weight by the ratio of the sum of weights
within the restricted sample to the sum of weights for whole survey,
and in the second case inflate each w1 by the ratio of the sum of w1
for each single year of age within the restricted sample to the sum of
w1 for each single year of age.  If you have variables that are never
missing in the whole survey, you can use those in a parametric model
to inflate the weights, e.g. estimate a logit of 1(Y<.) on Z to
predict phat and then multiply weights by 1/phat.

Maybe Manski would have better ideas:
http://faculty.wcas.northwestern.edu/~cfm754/