RE: st: Standard error of a ratio of two random variables

From   "Feiveson, Alan H. (JSC-SK311)" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Standard error of a ratio of two random variables
Date   Tue, 13 Jan 2009 08:57:35 -0600

It should also be noted that this delta method is just an approximation
- so it is not surprising that it might disagree with a simulaiton by
10% or more. Also, technically the variance of a ratio of two normally
distributed random variables doesn't even exist! Therefore even a
simulation, if carried out long enough would produce arbitarily high
"SE" values. The saving grace is that if the variance of the denominator
is much smaller than the mean, we can "get away" with these
approximations for practical usage.

Al Feiveson

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Jeph Herrin
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 7:11 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Standard error of a ratio of two random variables

For what it's worth, a simulation may give the most accurate answer:

   quietly ci X
   local mux=r(mean)
   local sex=r(se)
   quietly ci Y
   local muy=r(mean)
   local sey=r(se)
   corr X Y
   local rho=r(rho)
   matrix b= (`mux' \ `muy')
   matrix V= (1, `rho' \ `rho', 1)
   matrix sd =(`sex' \ `sey')

   clear
   set obs 100000
   drawnorm X Y, means(b) corr(V) sds(sd)
   gen ratio=X/Y
   sum ratio

The SD of the variable -ratio- should be the SE of X/Y.

Jeph