RE: st: Re: read tempvars in user created programs

Subject   RE: st: Re: read tempvars in user created programs
Date   Wed, 19 Nov 2008 11:49:59 +0100

Ok. BTW, you seem to have set - #delimit ;- in your code (which might
confuse readers...)

HTH
Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of mario fiorini
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 11:43 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: st: Re: read tempvars in user created programs

Hi Martin,
no indeed the subroutine is not be able to match `TV`price'' to the tempvar.
You have to pass the tempvar (and not just the name of the handle) if you
want the routine to read the temporary variable. The code below works but I
am now passing the full tempvar as an argument to the program. I am not
fully sure why the handle's name did not work though.

Mario

 // ===================

cap program drop progtempvar;
program define progtempvar;
 args progvars;
 di "`progvars'";
 su `progvars';
end;

sysuse auto;
tempvar TVprice; ge `TVprice'= price;
progtempvar `TVprice';

 // ======================

> From: [email protected]
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: RE: st: Re: read tempvars in user created programs
> Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 09:31:23 +0100
>
> Line for the server...
>
> Mario,
>
> Does Sergiy`s code address your problem in your initial post that seemed
> consist in prepending "TV" automatically to the name of the -tempvar-? I
> played around a lot last night with this and could not tell Stata that it
> should add "TV" to "price" and then interpret the whole thing as a
> -tempvar-...
>
> HTH
> Martin

http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau%2F

%3Ftracking%3Dsk%3Atl%3Ask%3Anine%3A0%3Ahottag%3Achange&_t=757263783&_r=SEEK
> _tagline&_m=EXT

Take a summer road trip with Windows Live Hotmail. Multiple prizes and the
ultimate dream beach house!
http://www.ninemsn.com.au/hotmailroadtrip