st: Re: read tempvars in user created programs

Subject   st: Re: read tempvars in user created programs
Date   Wed, 19 Nov 2008 00:59:54 +0100

Well,

-summarize- never sees the -tempvar- that you intend to use; instead it sees nothing. If -su- sees nothing, it -summarize-s everything by default, including your -tempvar-...

HTH
Martin
_______________________
----- Original Message ----- From: "mario fiorini" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 12:44 AM
Subject: st: read tempvars in user created programs

Dear all,
I have written a program to produce some test statistics. However, the program does not seem able to use the temporary variables that I've generated outside of it. For illustrative purposes consider the following lines, where I define a program to summarize a tempvar (my real problem is more complex and that's why I use a program).

// ===================

cap program drop progtempvar;
program define progtempvar;
   args progvars;
   di "`progvars'";
   su `TV`progvars'';
end;

sysuse auto;
tempvar TVprice; ge `TVprice'= price;
progtempvar price;

The program would not recognize the temporary variable. Is there a way to get around this without creating a non-temporary variable?
(that is why  " reg price `TVprice' " work instead?) Thanks in advance,

Mario
Your dream beach house escape for summer! Sign up for the Hotmail Road Trip today.
http://www.ninemsn.com.au/hotmailroadtrip