RE: st: One to N matching

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: One to N matching
Date   Tue, 18 Nov 2008 19:46:25 -0000

Thanks for the illumination (and elimination), and sorry for the red
herring. Matching joins survey on my personal list of "Even if you think
that exceptionally you think you understand the question, you are still
wrong".

Nick

Austin Nichols

Nick--
I don't think -duplicates- addresses the issue.  The idea is, for
observation 1, find the k obs with the closest value of p (k a scalar,
say 4, and p a variable, measuring for example a propensity).  Then
repeat for observation 2, but do not pick any of the obs you picked
for observation 1.  Et cetera. "Duplicates" in this setting means
picking observations more than once, I believe.

This is presumably needed for some nonstandard form of propensity
score matching--on which see Rosenbaum and Rubin (1983), linked
directly from p.26 of http://pped.org/stata/ciwod.pdf